A rich dish, from Mughalai Cuisine, with curd based gravy with whole spices and onions. Best served with Indian breads.
ONIONS (SLICED) – 6 TO 8
CHICKEN (ON BONE) – 800 GMS
CASHEWS (HANDFUL) – HANDFUL
RED CHILI POWDER – 1 TBSP
GINGER GARLIC PASTE – 1 TBSP
BEATEN CURD – 400 GMS
CORIANDER POWDER (DHANIYA POWDER) – 1 TBSP
MUSTARD OIL (SARSON TEL) – 1/2 CUP
CINNAMON STICK – 1
BLACK PEPPER (WHOLE) – 1 TBSP
BLACK CARDAMOM – 2
GREEN CARDAMOM – 2
DRY RED CHILI – 1
CLOVE (LAUNG) – FEW
BAYLEAF (TEZ PATTA) – 2
GARAM MASALA POWDER – 1 TBSP
SALT – TO TASTE
- Take sliced onions and start frying in mustard oil, prepare in batches and keep on oil absorbent paper to soak extra oil.
- Soak the cashews in hot water.
- Take the chicken, marinate in ginger garlic paste, chilli powder and pinch of salt. Keep it for 1-2 hours.
- Take heavy bottom pan, use the same oil in which onions are fried, to enhance the flavours. Once the oil is hot add the whole spices and marinated chicken.
- Mix well, cook for 10 mins on high heat. Then let the chicken cook on low heat for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile take the mixer grinder, put fried onions & cashews , churn into a fine smooth paste.
- Take the beaten curd, add red chilli powder, coriander powder and mix well.
- Turn the flame to low, add the beaten curd and mix well.
- Cover it and cook for 15 mins on low to medium flame. Keep mixing in between.
- After 15 mins, check once the oil is separated, add the onion cashew paste and mix well.
- Cook for 10-12 mins on low to medium flame.
- Then finally add garam masala powder, cover and cook for 5-7 mins.
- Serve hot with your favourite bread.