A dish from Chinese/Cantonese cuisine in which chicken chunks are tossed and cooked in black pepper sauce which enhances the sharp flavour of black pepper goes really well with steamed rice.
Black Pepper (crushed) 50 gms
Garlic (minced) 2 cloves
Ginger (minced) 2 tbsp
Shallot (fine Chopped) 1
Cornstarch 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Chicken (shredded) 200 gms
Oil 3 tbsp
Cilantro Fig for garnish
Note: Vegetarians can opt for tofu or mixed veggies in black pepper sauce.
Process (for sauce)
- Take a wok or a deep bottom pan and put half of the crushed black pepper and roast it for two minutes until the flavour of black pepper comes as fragrant.
- Keep aside, put oil in it and add mince garlic, mince ginger and sauté them.
- Add the shallot and sauté on high flame.
- Add the roasted crushed black pepper in it and add one cup water.
- Add salt and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the cornstarch and mix well, give it a stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining black pepper and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes and adjust the seasoning. Make sure you get a glaze and saucy consistency.
- Now take another pan and put 1 tbsp oil in it, once the oil is hot put in the shredded chicken carefully (oil spills – make sure you are careful).
- Toss it and cook for about 10 minutes until its 90% cooked, add the black pepper sauce and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with steamed rice.