Brown Onion Chicken
Succulent and juicy chicken cooked in the brown onion gravy with the flavour of brown onions add sweetness and rich flavour in your mouth. Enjoy this Indian chicken recipe.
Onions (sliced) 5
Coriander Powder 2 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder 2 tbsp
Garam Masala 1 tbsp
Bay Leaf 2
Cinnamon Sticks 2
Oil (for deep frying)
- Brine the chicken first i.e. put in the chicken in 1 litre cold water and 2 tbsp spoon and leave it for at least 2 hours.
- Take a deep bottom pan (pressure cooker is best) and take oil on medium flame, put in the onions.
- Keep stirring in between and switch off the flame once the onions are brown.
- Take the onions out on paper towels to soak excess oil out of them.
- Once the onions are at room temperature then put them in a blender and add yoghurt in that to blend into a fine paste.
- Take the same pan and put it on the medium flame, once the oil is hot put in the cinnamon and bay leaf. As the flavours start to extract, drain the chicken from the water and add it.
- Fry the chicken for 10 minutes and then the brown onion paste. Mix well on low flame.
- Add the spices except garam masala, adjust the salt and mix well for 5 mins.
- Add one cup water and then finally add Garam masala.
- Cover with the lid on low flame and after two whistles in pressure cooker. Once you see the oil floating that means the chicken is done.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.