A spicy and tangy dish of Okra pan fried with blend of Indian spices and shallots is one of the most lovable dish in Indian cuisine especially for vegetarians.
Okra (ladies finger) 250gms
Shallots (peeled-diced) 4
Red Chilli Powder 1 tbsp
Garam Masala Powder 1/2 tbsp
Coriander Powder 2 tbsp
Dry Mango Powder (Amchoor) 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder ½ tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds (whole jeera) 1 tbsp
- Cut the tip and bottom of okra and make a small slit vertically and repeat this every piece of okra. Keep aside.
- Make a blend of dry spices in a bowl by mixing, red chilli, turmeric, coriander and dry mango powder. (Chaat masala is an alternative)
- Taste the blend it should be spicy and tangy, adjust the salt and then mix the okra into the spice blend and toss it. Keep aside for 15-20mins so as the flavours gets into the okra.
- Take a pan and put oil in it on medium flame, when the oil is hot put in the cumin seeds.
- Once the crackling sound is there put in the shallots and sauté.
- Once the fragrance of the shallots start releasing adds the okra and tosses it.
- Cover the pan with the lid and cook for 10 mins on medium flame. Adjust the salt and sprinkle the remaining spice blend and stir.
- Cover again for 10mins and after that see if the oil is dried up then give it a final stir and switch off the flame. Serve hot.